About Me Freebies Home Image Map

Friday, January 31, 2014

Five for Friday *Linky Party* January 31

What a fantastic week it was!  It's amazing how quickly the week goes by when you have two days of school cancelled because of the cold weather.  We have been trying to cram everything in that we missed plus some.  I still haven't had a full week of school since Christmas break.  How crazy is that?

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share some of the things we have been doing this week.


1.  School was cancelled on Monday and Tuesday because of the blizzard conditions and cold weather.  I am hoping we have had our last -35 degree temps with windchill.  Monday was supposed to be a report card for teachers.  We got to work at home instead and do them.  I wish I could stay in my pjs EVERY report card day.   Tuesday was our 4th no school school day for  kids.  We've had 5 snow days in January now.  This is crazy.  We could get 12+ inches of snow and still have to go in.  We got almost 6 inches of snow on Thursday and school was not called off.

2.  When I got to school on Wednesday I got to use my Green Screen and ipad.  I had written a grant for them.  The Green Screen came a couple weeks ago...but the ipad took forever to get here.  My principal handed it to me Wednesday morning.
The Green Screen is really big.  I took pictures of my kids in front of it. I then had them draw pictures.  I merged the two together...which made it look like the picture was their background.  The kids LOVED them.  I wish I could share the pics with you...but the ipad is so foreign to me.  I still have to figure out how to get the files onto my computer.  I tried to email pics to myself but they didn't send.  

We did our plays for Reader's Theater in front of the screen.  I recorded them.  I am still trying to figure out how to get the pictures they drew behind the plays.

 I am having a love/hate relationship with my ipad.  I am not sure how to use it.  AT.ALL.  Please let me know what APPS I need to add for my first graders.  I want to use this for more than my Green Screen.

 My kids drew the setting of our play on big paper.  I took pictures of their pictures and will be merging the video together.

3.  We learned about the Chinese New Year.  One of my first graders was so excited when she got to school.  She said that she is Chinese and had the biggest grin on her face.  Another student asked if we were going to meditate all day because that's what they do in China.  UM?!?



4.  We started our discussion about the 100th day of school.  It will be on February 20th....provided we don't have any more cold days.  In order to get ready for it, we discussed what a 100 year old person might look like or what they might wear.  My kids gave me lots of fun responses.  I then showed them pictures of people who are 100.   We talked about their wrinkles, hair styles, clothing, etc.  I then told them that they were going to get to dress like someone who is 100 on the 100th day of school.  One of my sweet, little girls asked if we'd be making fun of the old people by dressing like them.  They have the biggest hearts.

 I went to Goodwill and bought some pjs for me and some of the other first grade teachers.  My 10 year old son smelled one of the gowns and said that it smelled nasty.  I smelled it too and was dry heaving.  I think it's been in a storage bin for over 50 years.  LOL!  I'm hoping a little bleach will get the smell out after several washes.

5.  Finally, I started to prep for our Valentine's Day projects.  We will be making Abe Lincoln hat mailboxes.  We will read the story, Abe Lincoln's Hat.  In it the author says that Abe kept his really important papers in his hat.  We will make our own hats and kids will put their important cards to one another in it.



 We are also going to be taking two candy canes and will be taping them together to make a heart shape.  Kids will make cards for someone they love for Valentine's Day.


It was a short week, but very productive!  I hope you are all safe and warm.  I have been thinking about all my southern friends who got stuck because of the storms or who saw snow for the first time.  What crazy weather we are having.  Have a great weekend!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment