About Me Freebies Home Image Map

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Fluency Phrases: Guided Reading Levels D-R

Hi!  I am so excited to say that today was officially my last day of teaching for this school year!  I will miss my first graders so much.  My class got along so well with one another and were so sweet.  I tried to stay strong and not shed any tears, but after two of my first graders wrote a song to the Cups song by Anna Kendrick (they made their own lyrics up to the song), I lost it..  They said they were going to miss me when they were gone.  It was so cute.  I read some stories about moving on and gave them a chance to say good-bye to their friends and give hugs.  Right away I had several students start to cry and say they didn't want to leave our class.  By the time we were lined up there were probably 7 or 8 kids crying. I felt so bad for them.  But, like I said, this class cared about each other and helped each other out.  I will miss them.

I cleaned up my room today and started to prepare for next year.  Next year I will be doing fluency phrases with our sight words.  Research says that repeated practice of reading sight words in phrases will help readers memorize their sight words and become more fluent.  I took the sight words and phrases that we will be using next year and typed them onto cards.  I laminated and cut out all the words and assembled them on rings.  Next year when I do my guided reading groups, I will put out the rings with the leveled words that they are on.  We will practice the words on the 10 cards.   When they move up to the next level, we practice the next group of words.  Each level has a different background of paper.  There are fluency cards for each reading level...levels D-R.








You can find them here. Fluency-Phrases-Guided-Reading-Levels-D-R.  I am so excited to be starting my summer knowing that I am a little bit more prepared for next year.  I hope you are having a great week.
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment