About Me Freebies Home Image Map

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Contractions Game

One of the things my kids love to do in my class is sing songs and dance to music.   I really believe that kids learn in different ways and kids need to move and they need to move a lot.  Especially in first grade. 

One of our favorite songs we sing is this one:
 
We have been singing it a lot in our classroom.  I will put the words up on my smart board and the kids will dance around with the card that has a word without the Magic E or one with the Magic E.  When the song stops they have to find their partner.   Each partner will share their words with the class.
 
I LOVE all the Miss Jenny books.  She has so many skills that first graders need to know in songs that she wrote and sings.  You can find her CD's here.  I think I have all of them.  I love them that much and so do my kids.  You can find them by clicking below.
 
 
 In this picture, my kids are sharing their puzzle that they made after sing the song A Contraction Has an Apostrophe.  One student had two words and the other had the contraction that the two words made.  When they put their words together they had a complete puzzle.

 Two students sharing their puzzle.


 

 

 The music stopped so they are trying to find the matching piece to their puzzle.

 
Each student had a puzzle and was singing/dancing to the song that we were playing.
 
You can use any song that you want.  We did this activity with these puzzles that are in my St. Patrick's day unit.
 
You can find it here.  We also sing and dance to the Compound Word Whiz song and do these puzzles from my St. Patrick's Day Unit.
The whole background is blue...I am not sure why I can't get it to upload in fun color. 
 
You can find these in my St. Patrick's Day unit that is listed below.


1 comment:

  1. So glad I stumbled upon your cute blog! I'm your newest follower!

    Leah
    Learn with Leah

    ReplyDelete