About Me Freebies Home Image Map

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Labels, Labels, Labels

Tonight I have been working on making labels for all of the folders and notebooks that my first graders will be using this year.  I copy all of the labels onto pieces of full or half sheet label paper.  Once it is copied, I just peel the back and don't have to write the same label on EVERY single notebook or folder that I have.  I just have the kids write their name on the label!  I'm not sure why I didn't start doing this a long time ago. 


Every day my students do Writer's Workshop.  They have a folder that they keep all their drafts of stories and unfinished books in.  When it is time to do Writer's Workshop, I have them move their desks away from one another, take out their Writer's Workshop Folder and get to work.  I play piano music in the background while they are working.


Last year I started doing a daily math prompt.  The first 10 minutes of the day, students would get a daily math question, they would glue it in their math journals and they would answer it.  This year I am going to start doing this with Language Arts as well.  I found this idea from Anna Brantley at Crazy for First Grade.  You can see the idea here.  Anna Brantley.  This year I will be doing the Literacy ones that I found on her blog as well. You can find them here: Literacy Journal Prompts.  I did label my journals Language and Math.






Every day we do a morning meeting.  I have my kids share something that they did the night before or are excited about.  We then do a free writing for about 10 minutes.  At this time, I do not correct their work.  This is a time for them to use inventive spelling, spelling words that they are learning and just write.  I label these Writing Journals.



Finally I send blue Parent Communication Folders home with my kids daily.  In these I have paper.  I may write notes to parents in them or they might write notes to me.   I check these daily and send them home at night.



I hope that you can use some of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment